Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Stephen the forerunner to Paul

I’d like to think that when Stephen, being stoned after that great sermon, prayed "Lord Jesus, receive my spirit"(Acts 7:59), the Lord received his spirit and put it upon one Saul standing there. I think it was a moment like the one that happened on the banks of Jordan years ago between Elijah and Elisha (2Kings2:9). Just like how Elisha received double the portion of Elijah’s spirit (note that it was his spirit and not blessings that Elisha received as some preachers would like to preach), I would like to think that Saul standing there received double portion of the spirit of Stephen that day. Paul went on to preach blistering sermons like Stephen, he was found arguing and teaching scriptures in synagogues just like Stephen did, he was stoned once and left for dead just like Stephen, he was falsely accused and persecuted like his predecessor Stephen and finally like Stephen he died a martyr’s death. I think Stephen was a forerunner to Paul. I think when Stephen passed into glory his spirit (rather double portion of his spirit) landed on his murderer. Paul stood there that day little knowing that he would later go on to live the life that Stephen, the very man that he killed that day, would have lived. HIS ways are mysterious. Have your way in me Lord!

No comments: